Friday, June 6, 2008

Regenbogen in Weimar!



huzzzzzzzah! After a strangely peaceful past week of recovery & reflection, I took the train yesterday from Göttingen to Weimar, in the hopes of finding my crazy artsy friend Daniel.
ouf! so its been a while since i've written a word about my whereabouts, so i now have found a way to share a pictomentary of the past few weeks, from the BIKE HEAVEN that is the Nederlands, to Deutschland, where my REAL biking began. Hahaha..'twas so hardcore that I pushed myself up monster hills(3-4km long, 10% grade, baby!)in 32 degree weather on the way to Göttingen and ended up in Die Krankenhaus with a sunstroke!Aiiiaaiaiaiii!
Aber, I am truly grateful to have my own physical limitations force me to stop and let my mind & soul rest, recover, and digest for a while, since I get so easily swept away in the current of challenge and curiosity..
Plus, the Deutsch health system is incredible. They were apologetic with me if a friendly doctor made me wait a whole 2 minutes. woooooooow.
En tout cas, here is a lil taste of my travels since the ferry from the Port of Harwich, east coast England, to the Hoek von Holland, Rotterdam, camping in Zandfoort, Amsterdam( I have already found my dream home there with gold-paved fietsroutes EVERYWHERE), Werkendam/Hank(southern Nederlands), Nijmegen(home of Velorama...the Bike Mecca-museum!!), and then back to Amsterdam...before crossing straight through the lusciously green country of central Germany. It took me 4 days to travel from the east Netherlands to Göttingen, where I truly surprised myself with some steady endurance, biking on average 105km/day. Woot!
Since the sunstroke in Göttingen, however, I dwas still feeling quite weak, so I decided to play it safe and take the train to Weimar-which i think is among my favourite stops in Germany so far-and then to the chaotic wonder that is Berlin...

voila.... (NB: the pics are posted starting from the most recent-yay technical imcompetence!)

Sebastian und Fabian, mes potes trop chics de Weimar




Le Giegling party-squat a la lisiere du Goethe Park, Weimar...












Street in weimar..













Giegling squat














Un trou dans l'coeur ou dans la tete?












Benedetta & Giulia, sweet italian girls who showed me a hidden side of the city








Bad Karshafen













Bad Karlshafen






















Herbert & Marvin Kellerman, the absolute sweethearts who welcomed me in their home of Marienfeld(Harsewinkel) and introduced me to Deutsch Korb-Feuers(basket fires!)








Münster Cathedral




























crossing central Germany...

















































Back in Amsterdam









early birthday morning leaving Nijmegen












a most delightful afternoon with the wise & magical Vincent Loosjes









Can YOU spot the quirk in this pic?!? tiddely pom.














It's a bird! It's a rainbow! Nein, ist est ein Malte!!!
my German ferry-buddy with whom I got to share a feast of dumpstered donuts, and play like monkeys on the overnight ferry to The Hoek von Holland:)

2 comments:

Greg Rothman said...

your adventures look much fun
as w ell as pretty and as it should be,
filled with rubber duckies?

Calined said...

hi, its chris from today! =)
wow you look well traveled now!
and it all looks so inspiring and free and i can almost taste the fun you feel by experiencing all this!

thank you for the links and infos and inspiration! =)